- The journal was founded in 2005 by Ulrich Frank, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, in collaboration with the GI SIG MobIS and SIG MoBIS as a print journal, and was issued in print from 2005 (Vol. 1) to 2011 (Vol. 6).
- In 2012, the journal turned into an electronic journal available to the members of SIG EMISA and SIG MoBIS only (Vol. 7 to Vol. 8).
- In 2014, the journal became an open access journal temporarily hosted by Springer according to GI statutes (Vol. 9 and Vol. 10).
- In 2015, Manfred Reichert (U Ulm) and Stefan Strecker (U Hagen) were appointed as Editors-in-Chief by SIG EMISA and SIG MoBIS, respectively. The journal is included in DBLP.
- Beginning with Vol. 11 (2016), the journal adopts a true Open Access policy based on a Creative Commons license with published papers hosted at https://www.emisa-journal.org. Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) are provided for all previous issues and articles, and all articles are permanently archived in a Private LOCKSS Network (PLN). Moreover, the publishing mode is changed to a 'publish-as-you-go' mode with accepted papers published as soon as the editorial processing has been completed.
- In 2017, the journal subtitle changed to 'International Journal of Conceptual Modeling' after a meeting at the ER 2017 conference in Valencia. EBSCO starts to host EMISAJ abstracts in its products. The journal accepts submissions in American English in addition to the default British English. Manfred Reichert steps down as EiC and Agnes Koschmider is appointed as Co-Editor-in-Chief.
- In 2018 (Vol. 13), the journal changed from British English as standard language to American English (with British English as an option). Note that the journal title “Enterprise Modelling and Information Systems Architectures” stays in BE spelling due to ISSN and DOI restrictions (which implies the odd difference between the spelling in the journal’s title and subtitle – but makes it unique ;-). Starting in 2018, the acronym EMISAJ is used to refer to the journal to avoid confusion with the EMISA workshop series (e.g. EMISA 2018) and the GI SIG EMISA. The full content of EMISAJ is made available through the GI Digital Library.
Enterprise Modelling and Information Systems Architectures – International Journal of Conceptual Modeling (EMISAJ) is published by the German Informatics Society (GI) and is a publication of its SIG on Modelling Business Information Systems (SIG MoBIS) and its SIG on Design Methods for Information Systems (SIG EMISA).
Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (The German Informatics Society)